Otago Harbour

Otago Harbour
By Helen

Friday 25 May 2007

Wiki is coming along but still a solo effort :-(

I am making some progress on the wiki with adding content but I am becoming a bit disappointed that the collaborative nature of the wiki is yet to reveal itself to me. Despite advertising to my colleagues all around NZ that I am working on a project that could be of use to them I am still the only editor. I suppose it takes time for things like this to catch on. Also I have discovered that most people are reluctant to publish draft material for all the world to see. (Note to myself: Remember to ask Leigh for those names he thought I should contact to get some collaboration going). This week I went through some of my del.icious sites and created links to them from the wiki. I also had a look for useful YouTube videos but the speed of downloading was infuriatingly slow tonight. Serves me right for being so boring and staying home on a Friday night!

2 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

Hey Helen,, now now, be patient, and perhaps your idea of collaboration is a little out? I have seen you collaborate already! You linked to Dave's Kinaesthetic Learners resource. That's using Dave's work in your own mix, linking is collaborating :).. I'm not surprised non of your NZ colleagues have helped out yet though.. there's a ways to go before NZ Tertiary Ed recognises the potential in Wikis. Disappointing isn't it :( My old Department had the same experience. A colleague started up a wiki for the Web Design course we all taught. He put the word out across TAFE NSW and Australia and didn't get any bites. Much later - when his page was proving a successful resource, he started to get collaborators, not from Australia mind you!
Let's talk more about this when we meet this week. There are some things I think you need to do with your resource so that it is more reusable and therefore open to collaboration...
A link to the page on your blog would be good: http://wikieducator.org/Peer_tutoring

Leigh Blackall said...

also, you might like to join the Wikieducator mailing list. There is a social aspect to collaboration don't you think? Bit like what we try to build in the Networked learning list.. http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator